Assistance Animal Guidelines

GW recognizes the importance of assistance animals for students with disabilities.

Procedures were established to ensure that GW residents who require the use of assistance animals as a reasonable accommodation receive the benefit of the therapeutic support the animals provide.  GW is committed to ensuring equal access to the university‚Äôs residence halls and has set forth specific requirements and guidelines regarding the use of assistance animals through the Procedures for Assistance Animals in Residential Facilities documentation.  GW reserves the right to amend these procedures, without notice, as needed.

We share responsibility with the University Counseling Center, GW Housing and the Center for Student Engagement for implementing and enforcing these procedures. 

Approval for an Assistance Animal

Register with DSS, and provide the necessary documentation to initiate a request for the approval of an assistance animal as a formal accommodation.

Continuing Students

If you are requesting approval for assistance animals for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must submit your request by February 10, 2015.

New GW Students

If you are requesting approval for assistance animals upon matriculation to the university for the 2015-2016 academic year must submit their requests by May 23, 2015.

If your request is late, it is not guaranteed that your accommodation needs will be met, including any needs that develop during the semester.

Supporting Documentation

With your request, you are required to provide necessary supporting documentation from a licensed health care or mental health provider.  The health care provider must be reliable and qualified to make the requested assessment and must submit a signed letter on professional letterhead indicating the:

  • diagnosis of the nature of the your disability
  • opinion that the condition affects a major life activity
  • professional opinion that the assistance animal is necessary to provide emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of your disability
  • assessment of the relationship between the disability and the assistance or relief that the animal provides

After we receive your request and documentation, we will engage with you and appropriate health care providers, if necessary, to determine the details of the accommodation, if any.

Once notified of the approval, you must then provide current vaccination and licensing documentation.  In accordance with all local ordinances and regulations, the animal must be vaccinated against disease.


Assistance animals may not reside in university housing without written approval from university officials. 

Additionally, only certified service animals have access to university facilities.  Approved assistance animals are restricted to university housing.   

Register with DSS