Housing Accessibility

Residential living is central to the learning environment for many GW students. Campus Living and Residential Education (CLRE) offers a wide variety of residence hall options, and most students secure desired assignments through the standard housing selection process.

However, students with specific disability-related needs may request housing accommodations.


In order to be eligible for a disability housing accommodation, you must register with DSS and provide the appropriate diagnostic documentation as part of your registration packet.  Personal preference, such as the desire for a quiet, undisturbed place to study, is insufficient to warrant a housing accommodation.

For housing requests, your documentation must:

  • be in compliance with Section 504 of the ADA
  • include an evaluation by a qualified professional that indicates a direct relationship between your disability status and your housing request
  • include an assessment of the condition that is the basis for the accommodation request
  • provide a clear description of the required housing configuration
  • include an explanation of how the request relates to the impact of the condition
  • indicate the level of need for the recommended configuration and the consequence of not receiving that configuration

Deadlines for Housing Requests

In order to allow the appropriate amount of time for the review of disability documentation, we require that you submit your housing request to us slightly earlier than CLRE’s deadlines. You can submit your requests by email ([email protected]), fax, or in hardcopy form when visiting the office.

Process for Approving Housing Requests

Your request will proceed through a collaborative review process. Throughout this process, DSS will make every effort to respect the confidentiality of your disability status.

Once a decision has been reached, DSS will notify you of the outcome. If you meet the eligibility requirements, DSS will provide Campus Living and Residential Education with a written confirmation of the specific accommodation.

CLRE will then determine your room assignment and will notify you of it directly.

You will be notified of the status of your request within ten business days after submitting all of your required documents.

All requests for housing accommodations are reviewed carefully, and the key factors considered are:

  • Severity of the condition

    • Is the impact of the condition life threatening if the request is not met?

    • Is there a negative health impact if the request is not met?

    • Is the request an integral component of a treatment plan for the condition in question?

  • Timing of the request: Was the request filed before the published deadline?

Duration of Housing Accommodations

Once you have been deemed eligible for a disability housing accommodation, and as long as your needs remain the same, Campus Living and Residential Education (CLRE) will make every effort to accommodate you in a similar manner for your remaining years in residence.

Variable or changing disability conditions may periodically require updated or supplemental documentation.

Given the limited availability of certain housing configurations, you may apply for an exemption from GW’s residency requirement if an appropriate housing accommodation cannot be made on campus.

Assistance Animal Requests

Please consult our Assistance Animal Guidelines for information about furnishing a request for an assistance animal.